A lot of web companies will not offer open source CMS platforms, preferring to use their own customised CMS.
Herein lies a big issue for organisations who are unclear about the dangers associated with using these in house, proprietary build CMS systems.
Following are some tips for choosing the best CMS Solution for your Charity, NFP or NGO website.
Make sure that you can get training in the usage of the CMS once the website project has been completed. This is a no brainer and should be given to you no matter the type of CMS you use.
Ask your web developer exactly what type of CMS solution they will be provided – if it is not one of the above mentioned then you need to be extremely careful about progressing with them.
Make sure there are no licence fees associated with custom-built CMS platforms as this can get very costly over the years.
Avoid getting locked into contracts as this means that you are stuck with 1 company for the entire life of the website – not ideal in this day and age.
Make sure your CMS is SEO friendly where you can add titles, descriptions and H1, H2 and H3 headings. I have worked on many websites that use outdated proprietary content management systems that are super SEO unfriendly and it’s a nightmare. The first thing I tell my clients is that we have to transfer your entire site over to a WordPress CMS platform.
What CMS solutions do Hopping Mad Designs use?
Our range of Open Source Content Management Systems based web design solutions for charities, non-profits and NGOs are designed to deliver extremely cost-effective online solutions that will help your organisation succeed online.
Our not-for-profit expertise puts us in the best position to advise your organisation on the best CMS Solution – We use WordPress CMS for all our websites and the reasons are simple:
FREE to download, no monthly fees, easy to use and very search engine friendly. PLUS you get full backup and support.
Why use Hopping Mad Designs as your CMS provider for your NFP or charity?
- We will give your organisation a free initial consultation
- There are discounted rates for charities, non-profits and NGO’s
- All our websites are fully customised, giving your organisation a completely unique style.
- We know search engine optimisation and can rank your website within weeks of launching it.
- Expert and REAL advice on the best use of your social media platforms; Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc.
- No lock-in contracts – OUR WordPress CMS is 100% open source.
- Training on how to add or delete content on your WordPress CMS